Friday 4 December 2015

The Square- 3D Final Piece

In 3D we were asked to adapt a frame inspired by human form. Due to my love of prosthetic make up I knew pretty much exactly what I wanted to produce straight away, so I created an initial sketch: 
The idea was to make the frame look as though different skin colours were stitched together, initially it was to show love and diversity despite race but by the end the message changed slightly.

I began using plasticine to create the skin like sections, I then pasted liquid latex over the top to give a skin like feel, after a couple of coats of the liquid latex I decided not to use it as it was very stretchy and it wouldn't be thick enough for what I wanted, so I changed from using liquid latex to using PVA glue. I also decided not to got all the way around the frame, I thought that some areas should be exposed in order to show what it actually represents.

I then started created a face out of clay, at first I was going to do a plain expression but I decided to make it a more angered expression. This was the final product, I like how devil like he looks, it adapts the message slightly.

I then painted my frame and skin sections. To make it more realistic I used foundation and face paints although I forgot that these don't withstand a lot of touching so after a while they started smudging and becoming full of gaps.

I didn't really want to go in with paints as I thought it wouldn't look very realistic so I kept the foundation and face paints as I like how it made it look as though the skin it dying away.
This is my finished piece, I wish I'd had more time to make it look more polished.

I made an edit of what I would've wanted it to look like....
But overall I believe that I achieve what I wanted to achieve and it uses intense clashing colours to visually communicate a feeling of hate due to discrimination.




Megan Chilcott


No comments:

Post a Comment