Thursday 3 December 2015

The Square- Evaluation- 2D Life Drawing

Evaluation

I'll be evaluating my piece of work below which I created in 2D during a life drawing lesson.

To get to this final piece of work, I through stages of working with just black paint to working with lots of colour. Below you can see the progression of the different life drawings. To me the bold black paintings were very strong, the lines visually communicated a simple feel of freedom and life. Although I wanted a more intense feel of heavy emotion and that's why I wanted to introduce colour.
I believe that my final piece is visually communicating a sense of inner conflict. In my piece I have two types of lines, the black lines are erratic and the almost pace around the page, contradicting this, the red lines are angular and bold, this visually communicates a sense of contrasting emotion, the lines are almost fighting one another, giving a feel of self hatred. The tone of my final piece is harsh and sharp, this is created with bold, stand out lines which gives a one dimensional feel to the being in the piece, but it also shows a strong meaning feel of life and emotion as it hides away from being three dimensional. I used very saturated and intense colours, the black and red represent hate and anger, it communicates the being dealing with his heavy emotions weighing him down which shows his struggles. The shape and form of my life drawing is contrasting, it's organic versus geometric. The organic shapes have been placed in a geometric box and they communicate the feeling of being out of place and like they don't belong there, this links with the previous contrasting lines. Overall I didn't really think too heavily about texture when creating this piece which lead to a very natural dry and layered texture, the layering communicates the feeling of building stress. Almost as though problems are stacking up on top of the being. The pattern on my final piece is very irregular and asymmetrical, to me this communicates a feeling of being out of control, it shows that the being doesn't feel as though they have a hold on their life and they're overwhelmed. Finally the matte, dry sheen of the final piece communicates an unpolished life. The matte paint makes it look almost unfinished, which represents the feeling of not living up to ones full potential and not living life to the full which can feel very straining on the mind.
Overall my piece visually communicates someone's self battle with anger and hatred, this is shown by the contrasting lines and heavy, saturated colours. I believe that the emotive life drawing has a very strong meaning which is looking at the seriousness of mental health in today's society.

I looked at Picasso for inspiration m, he's one of not the most famous cubism artists of all time and I really wanted to capture the idea of cubism in my piece as I believe it visually communicates a feel of seriousness as well as being playful, it almost had two sides, a darker side of bold and fluid line and contrasting that it has an almost harmonious side with vibrant, instead colours. I felt inspired by this contrasting style of work.

Blue Nude-1902 Picasso
I drew inspiration from Picasso's 'Blue Nude', I like the idea of a very simple bold line image being transformed by colour into a painting with such strong emotion. Similarly both Picasso's work and my own don't include a background, for me this was very important as I wanted to visually communicate the anger and sadness purely from the contrasting sharp and erratic lines. Picasso has used tone in the layered blue to visually communicate the feeling of loneliness and rejection, in contrast to Picasso's work I chose not to use tone and instead I used very saturated colours. I did this to visually communicate a war between the bold black and the solid red, furthering my idea of contrasting the lines against one another which shows inner turmoil in fighting emotions within ones self.



Megan Chilcott











No comments:

Post a Comment